Apply for the 2017 Amplify Youth Summit for Nuclear Abolition
17 – 21 June 2017
New York, USA
Call for Participants – Application process is now closed
Are you interested in doing meaningful advocacy to abolish nuclear weapons? Would you love meeting and discussing with young people from around the world? Have you ever wanted to be part of the global peace movement? Would you like to participate in an international negotiating conference at the United Nations in New York?
What We Are Looking For
Amplify is looking for interested young people who want to be part of our 2017 Youth Summit from 17 – 21 June 2017 in New York, USA. The following are the criteria for applicants:
- Age: 18 – 35 years
- Interested / engaged in humanitarian, nuclear disarmament
- Basic knowledge in humanitarian, nuclear disarmament
- Eager to work on campaigning skills
- Good English language skills
- Striving for diversity in gender, world regions, study, and expertise fields
- Able to commit to the entire time frame (17 – 21 June 2017)
- Be a member of Amplify – Join if you are not a member yet!
Who We Are
Amplify is a growing international network of the younger generation of leaders in the field of nuclear abolition. The Amplify network is uniting young people from all over the world to create opportunities for future collaborations transcending strategic differences. Our common goal is to amplify and strengthen the call for complete nuclear abolition by taking action, raising our voices and pursuing nuclear abolition in our communities and countries.
“We see the potential for a world without nuclear weapons; we see the potential for security not based on fear but on diplomacy, cooperation and trust. We seek human security and sustainability, which are impossible to achieve fully in the presence of nuclear weapons”
(30 Aug 2015, International Youth Summit, Hiroshima, Youth Pledge)
What We Do
Amplify supports young people’s involvement, activities and actions for nuclear abolition. The network also aims to help empower young people who are new to this cause by providing information, opportunities and resources to learn about the issues and to connect with other young people taking action.
Our Proposal | 2017 Amplify Youth Summit for Nuclear Abolition, New York
Amplify will coordinate a Youth Summit in 2017 on the margins of the ban treaty negotiations in New York. The Amplify 2017 Youth Summit will invite 20-30 (funding depending) young people involved in nuclear disarmament activities to attend its 2-days youth gathering and 3-days at the UN conference negotiations on a legally binding instrument to prohibit nuclear weapons.
Youth Summit Activities:
During the Summit the carefully selected participants will take part in the following activities:
- Learning about the negotiation process so far from experts involved
- Develop their campaigning and advocacy skills through group work
- Plan their activities for the negotiations
- Actively take part in the negotiations
- Meet and build relationships with diplomats, UN personnel, civil society and other youth groups/networks taking part
Participants will be expected to:
- Learn and dialogue with diplomats, UN personnel and civil society
- Have a strong social media and reporting presence throughout the negotiations
- Document their experiences through: Photography, videoing, vlogs, interviews etc.
The Amplify 2017 Youth Summit will be held from:
- Youth Gathering: Saturday 17 – Sunday 18 June 2017, and
- UN Conference: Monday 19 – Wednesday 21 June 2017.
Participants will be expected to arrive in New York on Friday 16 June 2017 and will leave in the afternoon and evening of Wednesday 21 June 2017.
- Background of international disarmament politics, our campaign, and the arena of international politics
- You will obtain a good understanding of the practical and political aspects of nuclear disarmament
- Participation at the Ban Negotiations and the experience of being part of an international negotiating conference
- We are covering:
- Flights to and from New York
- Public transport in New York
- Some Meals
The Amplify 2017 Youth Summit participants will be carefully selected through an application process to ensure we have a diverse (gender, geographical, ethnic) group of committed young people aged 18 – mid 30s. Participants will be selected by members from the Amplify Steering Committee, ‘Selections Team’.
The deadline for applications is Monday, 3 April 2017. All applicants will be notified of the results in late April.
As we only have limited places and funding for participants, the applicants will be chosen by a selection committee, which will evaluate the applications based on their content, as well as the overall balance of participants’ backgrounds.
The final number of accepted participants is dependent on Amplify´s success in raising sufficient funds. Therefore, we encourage all participants to contribute to the success of the 2017 Amplify Youth Summit in helping us to raise money.